This one falls under the category of “because I can.” I didn’t like the way the dirt looked, so I replaced it with brocade.
First, I used Nik Color Efex Pro 4‘s detail extractor on the red blooms to bring out more texture, then I painted back over areas where the effect was too bright.
Next, I imported the brocade photo and painted out the dirt and some of the leaves. I used the overlay blend mode.
I cleaned up noise in the image with Nik’s Dfine, and finished with a vignette to make the two composited images look more integrated.
A fun Photoshop experiment on a lazy Saturday.
Back to reality, this is the rose bed in front of the Huntington’s wonderful tea room. Both shots are from the same day.